Four American missionaries kidnapped in Haiti now released and returned to home

A fourth American missionary kidnapped along with three others in Haiti has been released and is at home safe and sound, a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said on Friday. The statement from Nick Epley, spokesman for the Mormon church, said officials received confirmation from Haitian officials that Jacqueline Mullet was safe, and that three of the missionaries abducted Nov. 30 in the town of Illizois have been released.

Five men were reported to have been kidnapped in the early hours of Nov. 30. The local Patch news service quoted the government saying their release took place Thursday evening. At first, rumors spread that the kidnappers were demanding $50,000. Haitian officials had denied knowledge of the kidnappings, and claimed that one of the groups said it was a misunderstanding.

In a statement about the fifth hostage, Mr. Epley said that “we do not have any more information to share with you at this time.” He had said previously that all five had been freed.

Earlier this week, Pastor Andy Garcia —one of the group of five who were released — described their kidnapping ordeal. “We were kidnapped this morning by a group of kidnappers that entered a hotel and forced us to sit down with them and make them our bargaining chip. They said ‘you don’t pay the ransom, you are going to die today.’”

You can read that full story here.

Photos of the five that were kidnapped below.

Leave a Comment