Michigan Attorney General says high school rejects offer of cooperation after allegations surface

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette will not accept the offer of assistance from his high school alma mater, after promising his mentoring program would be temporarily shut down this spring for a full investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct and sexual assault committed by coaches. Shortly after the news broke, Schuette released a statement indicating the Bedford High School had rejected his offer of office to investigate the high school. “It is very disappointing,” Schuette told The Times in the statement. “The Attorney General’s Office is committed to protecting students in Michigan and will continue to investigate any complaints that we receive.” The allegations first came to light on March 22, when a parent of a student attended a Bedford Senior Board meeting, and alleged she had witnessed several students having “sexual intercourse” in a locker room on multiple occasions in the past three years. Later that evening, the mother submitted a written report to school officials in which she alleged that she also saw sexual violence committed by a football player. In another school meeting, parents complained that their children had been told to remove their shoes and leave the school before they were able to use the restroom and, in another incident, were allegedly forced to ejaculate upon initiation into an initiation ceremony. A separate parent told the Times that she had seen school officials talking about filing suit against the school on Friday. Schuette has since opened a new investigation into the allegations and denied that the investigation was a cover-up. “There was a videotape, apparently taken at a Bedford High School football game, and that videotape is the biggest piece of the puzzle,” he said. “We are still working to determine the authenticity of that tape.” While the school district has denied the allegations, it is still conducting an internal investigation, and the school’s board president resigned in the wake of the allegations. Multiple high-profile Michigan politicians have also weighed in on the issue, condemning the school’s decision not to accept Schuette’s offer of assistance. “This situation shows an utter disregard for the rights of students and their families — placing a higher priority on protecting the reputation of a football team that garners so much money,” said Michigan Representative Barbara Kondlik. A co-chair of the state’s committee on hate crimes, Michigan State Representative Al Pscholka also released a statement condemning the decision. “The least you would expect from a government body is to have clear policies of when and how employees are supposed to report, investigate, and hold accountable employees who may have committed a crime against students,” he said.”

Related

Outside investigative group reportedly refuses to look into Michigan high school & claims it is bowing to pressure from powerful powers

Michigan attorney general says allegations against administrators at high school were handled ‘properly’

Report that it took weeks to investigate athlete assaults at Michigan high school circulated on social media, prompting district administrators to threaten school paper to drop lead story

Leave a Comment